Attorney General William Barr reportedly told several top administration officials he was considering resigning over President Trump’s tweets regarding Justice Department Investigations.
As The Hill reports:
The Washington Post, which first reported the news, citing three administration officials, reported that Barr told people close to the president he was considering leaving over Trump’s tweets, which have continued unabated since Barr addressed them last week.
Justice Department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec pushed back on the reports Tuesday night, calling them “Beltway rumors” in a tweet and stating that Barr “has no plans to resign.”
Addressing Beltway rumors: The Attorney General has no plans to resign.
— KerriKupecDOJ (@KerriKupecDOJ) February 19, 2020
The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.
Barr said in an interview with ABC News last week that Trump’s tweets about the Department of Justice matters make it “impossible for me to do my job.”
The Attorney General made the controversial comment after the Justice Department made the decision to ignore a harsh sentencing recommendation for former Trump associate Rogers Stone.