Disgraced Steve Scully is returning to C-SPAN. The network announced in a press release that following a three-month leave Scully will officially be making his return. Scully was previously scheduled to moderate the second presidential debate but was later caught trying to solicit advice on Twitter on “how to handle Trump” from Trump’s adversary Anthony Scaramucci. However, when Scully’s tweet caught attention for its inherent bias he quickly tried to cover up the scandal by claiming his account was hacked. It was not long before Scully came forward and admitted he fabricated the entire hacking story.
In the press release, C-SPAN says that it ultimately decided for Scully to return because “We view October’s events as a singular episode in an otherwise successful 30-year career.”
*Except he did the exact same thing on a few other occasions. Minor details.
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) January 5, 2021
The Daily Wire reports:
On October 9, C-SPAN said in a statement that Scully did not send the tweet and that law enforcement officials had been contacted over the incident. C-SPAN and Scully faced immediate backlash over the incident as many noted that the entire ordeal was fishy from the start.
A week later, C-SPAN announced that it was suspending Scully because he admitted to lying about the incident. Scully worked for Democratic candidate Joe Biden in the past, posted pictures of himself with Biden online, and made anti-Trump remarks.
Following his suspension from the network, Scully sought to shift blame for his actions on to Trump and right-wing media.
“For several weeks, I was subjected to relentless criticism on social media and in conservative news outlets regarding my role as moderator for the second presidential debate, including attacks aimed directly at my family,” Scully wrote. “This culminated on Thursday, October 8th when I heard President Trump go on national television twice and falsely attack me by name. Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci. The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked.”
Following Scully’s admission to fabricating the story President Trump rightfully slammed him on Twitter.
I was right again! Steve Scully just admitted he was lying about his Twitter being hacked. The Debate was Rigged! He was suspended from @cspan indefinitely. The Trump Campaign was not treated fairly by the “Commission”. Did I show good instincts in being the first to know?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 15, 2020