‘I Was Wrong’ Famous Author, Ohio Senate Candidate Apologizes for Criticizing Trump

Public Domain

J.D. Vance is apologizing for his past criticisms of former President Trump. The apology comes as Vance has entered the Ohio Senate race to fill retiring Senator Rob Portman’s seat.

The Washington Examiner reports:

Vance, author of Hillbilly Elegy, asked not to be judged based on years-old comments. Vance described himself as “never Trump”; called Trump “an idiot”; said he “didn’t support” Trump; described himself as “not a Trump guy”; and said: “I loved @MittRomney’s anti-Trump screed” in since-deleted tweets from 2016 and 2017.

“I think he was a good president. I think he made a lot of good decisions for people, and I think he took a lot of flak,” he said Monday. “I think that’s the most important thing, is not what you said five years ago, but whether you’re willing to stand up and take the heat and take the hits for actually defending the interests of the American people.”

Vance entered a pro-Trump field in the Republican primary with all contenders hoping to take over for retiring Sen. Rob Portman. He’s fighting Josh Mandel, a Marine Corps veteran and two-time treasurer of Ohio; Jane Timken, the former Ohio GOP chairwoman; and businessmen Bernie Moreno and Mike Gibbons.

So far, Trump has yet to officially endorse anyone for the Ohio senate seat but Vance is hoping his apology will move him further into Trump’s good graces.

Lew Tripp
Lew Tripp

Not no, HELL NO.

Nine Island Girl
Nine Island Girl
Reply to  Lew Tripp

I’m totally with you. Portman is basically a liberal. The best candidate will end up being Josh Mandel.

Barry Johnson
Barry Johnson

Josh Mandel, a Marine Corps veteran
Oooou Fricken Raahhh Marine
Barry Age 76
PO1 USN RET
Vietnam 3x (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club)

Robert
Robert

I think that vance guy is just talking out his ass just hope he can get in office and then do the same as mitt Romney and the rest of them

Mutzika
Mutzika
Reply to  Robert

Stand correct
even apologizing is a little too late…no… very …
unacceptable

Mac
Mac
Reply to  Robert

Agreed

SDOFAZ

Does anyone think that apology is real? If so I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Mac
Mac
Reply to  SDOFAZ

Yep and I have an ocean front lot right on the beach looking at that bridge

Dee S
Reply to  SDOFAZ

NO, The Rinos work with the Left!

Moe
Moe

To late, we need someone who works fir us not the Global communist Democratic Party illegally in power.

cashgirl

You’re sounding an awful lot like the obsequious Democrats, Mr. Vance. You know, only apologizing and pandering if it means votes for them?? Perhaps our good President Trump will be more forgiving than I, but somehow I don’t think he will. Probably too little, too late.

robert
robert
Reply to  cashgirl

hes kin to mitt Romney

stephie cox
stephie cox

HELL NO………. HE’S HOPING TO RIDE ON PRESIDENT TRUMP’S BACK, TO GET VOTES…..HE IS A “FAKE” AND A “LIAR”…….THEY CAN USE HIM ON THE SOCIALIST DEMS SIDE!! PRESIDENT TRUMP…….. SAY… “NO WAY, YOU RHINO”……WE ONLY WANT THE GOOD IN OUR WH, NO MORE RHINOS, NO MORE SOCIALISTS AND WE DAMN WELL NEED TO SAY “NO MORE COMMIES”…. “INCLUDING THE SICKO “SQUAD TEAM”.!!!

Mac
Mac
Reply to  stephie cox

All of them are part of the very very deep Satan state

David Taylor
David Taylor
Reply to  stephie cox

Stephie -please don’t be dumb all your life. RHINO is a very large animal that grows a horn on its nose. Vance is a typical phony conservative GOP politician – a real RINO – a RepublicanInNameOnly.

Bucky

biden and his executive order to change all government vehicles to electric is going to be a complete disaster. Batteries will fail, creating no response in a time of need. Not to mention that the guberment will sell these vehicles at auction to the general public. I’ll buy one idiot biden, the most useful idiot ever

Mac
Mac
Reply to  Bucky

And where do these batteries come from? China just like the chips that go in all cars. Wonder why they stopped making chips for cars. Was it the virus or was it a new chip that went into each shot.?

Dr Barbara Embry
Dr Barbara Embry
Reply to  Mac

Exactly, and that is why neither I nor anyone in my family will let them inject the vax into us. I hear now that they are saying a third shot may be needed~~ you know, in case the first two didn’t kill enough people, on in case the chip failed to work.

Rufus

Right after I forgive RINOromney when he runs again.

paw paw
paw paw

Boy I have to think about this one! Let’s see some action not just words! Anybody can talk, show us the walk!!

Dale
Dale
Reply to  paw paw

He is more worried about going to jail as a turn coat

Susanna Donovan
Susanna Donovan

Two faced, fork tongued devil. Give him no slack.

Donald Cook
Donald Cook

Most definitely not !

Gideon Rockwell
Gideon Rockwell

His numbers are tanking and he’s trying to stay in the race.

Joy Brower
Joy Brower

I think John Mandel might be the strongest candidate in that race, but I’m not familiar with the other Ohio office holders running for that seat. No, I think Vance started out with an almost insurmountable disadvantage by his earlier, very severe criticisms of Pres. Trump. I’d hate to think of him allying with “The Turtle” (McConnell) in the Senate!!

Nine Island Girl
Nine Island Girl
Reply to  Joy Brower

I guess he wrote a book turned into a movie.
I guess to please the Hollyweird crowd and remain successful, he must of decided to criticize the President. Soooooo, no and NO.

Gillyanne Baker
Gillyanne Baker

Anyone who was either NOT IN politics, or was IN politics, and who was “full-grown and haired-over” and STILL could NOT see the forest for the trees, and NOW it’s suddenly to his benefit to kiss up to someone he called “an IDIOT” and God knows what else – is frankly, in my opinion, not only THE idiot but is also a sniveling, pathetic, back-stabbing IDIOT to boot. THE ANSWER IS: Would I forgive him for trashing President Trump??? Yeah, sure – WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER FOR THE TRILLIONTH G-D TIME !!!! See, a person is either SMART about things, or they’re STUPID — and THIS GUY is the one who WAS stupid, IS STILL stupid, and if HE thinks Trump will FORGIVE him OR endorse him for his stupidity, his unfounded disrespect OR his disloyalty — then THIS GUY is DEFINITELY the IDIOT IN THE ROOM!!!! A-Men.

john douglas
john douglas

Vance is a disgrace ! I’m in Ohio and I despise the despicable LGBT hedge fund guy

Karen Johnson
Karen Johnson

Absolutely a NO VOTE for me. Too late for an apology and a true patriot won’t be fooled b it. SAY NO to VANCE.

Dee S
Reply to  Karen Johnson

Pay attention to the rhetoric before and after. The rinos rely on deceiving people to gain their vote just like McCain, Romney, Collins, Kinzinger, Murkowski, and other rinos that pretend to be Republicans and then vote with the left.

OldestSeaDog
OldestSeaDog

LET’S MAKE THIS EASY FOR THIS VANCE GUY……HELL NO….WHY is he even in the race on the GOP ticket? The democratic party communist ticket would welcome him, NO, NOT EVER WILL the GOP.
Can’t even call this idiot a RINO, this Vance guy is a HASBEEN.

ALSCV
ALSCV

I am not from Ohio ( have friends there) but I don’t think I could vote for Vance if I lived there. Also, Vance favors Romney who is a jealous senator who contemptuously dislikes Trump who beat him fair and square. Romney never will be the charismatic speaker Trump is!

Jojodmonkey
Jojodmonkey

Vance, you are finished! You uni-party corrupt satanic Nazi democrat, no one wants you!

Ed D.
Ed D.

Tell the voters what you think they want to hear! Typical politician! Don’t vote for this Dufus!

Jerry White
Jerry White

Not a chance

Sorry, Mr. Vance but you can not be trusted. We have enough lying politicians in office already. We don’t need another one.

maxibaby
maxibaby

RINO ALERT! DANGER!
Not only is Vance a RINO who likes RINO Romney, he has very poor judgement because he prejudged DJT before taking the time to see what kind of a President he was! We have enough prejudging idiots in Congress…….some have never read a piece of legislation that was coming up for a vote…..they pick someone they like and vote they way they vote, in Vance’s case he would vote with RINO Romney every time!
We are in the process of voting RINO out and removing them from their seats with a blowtorch in some instances!
Vance NO! Who would ever be able to trust him?
He’s a Democrat impersonating a Republican!

Charles Russell
Charles Russell

A leopard’s spots never change. Ignore this RINO’s plea for a second chance to stab President Trump in the back.. He is just another Mitt Romney. Help Save America from democRAT Marxism. Vote for Trump Republicans in the 2022 congressional elections and TRUMP 2024. In the meantime Love America, be Proud to be an American, fight like hell against Marxism CRT in public schools and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE!

Elizabet h Estrada aka CHIAKIA

LISTEN UP….GOD FORGIVES. ANYONE Who TURNS from Their SINS and ACCEPTS GOD’S Gift of SALVATION…Will Be SAVED. OVERCOME ALL EVIL BY DOING GOOD. From SamuraiQueen. 😄😄😄

trojan

I agree, Samurai, but let him put actions to his words for 2-3 years and then if he wants to run for office again, he’ll have a track record to show for it. Until then, he’s in political purgatory and no amount of mea culpa is going to help him this time around.

Dee S

ISAIAH 5:20. What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil, that dark is light and light is dark, that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter. What sorrow for those who are heroes at drinking wine and boast about all the alcohol they can hold. They take bribes to let the WICKED go free, and then PUNISH the INNOCENT.
TRUE JUSTICE IS IMPOSSIBLE IN A CULTURE THAT DOES NOT VALUE TRUTH. THEY BLUR THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL, AND DEVESTATING CONSEQUENCES ARE BOUND TO FOLLOW.

robert
robert

his run for senate has nothing to do with God. Hes still a Rhino

Donald Duncan
Donald Duncan

Bad judgement at his age is a permanent disorder.

Carol
Carol

Traitor-Judas

Ralph
Ralph

Screw this RINO.

Mac
Mac

Let’s just say comies never change their spots. Not just a bug No but lleh NO

Ernstl
Ernstl

J. D. Vance should run for office as a Democrat. Remember the two-faced actions of Mitt Romney when he ran for Senate, begging for Trump support, then stabbing Trump in the back? Kick Vance out. Make SURE he does not win the Republican nomination!

Dee S
Reply to  Ernstl

Romans 3:13. Their tongues practice deceit. Its nothing but empty words.

Dnav
Dnav

Very weak apology. He should be saying, “I’m a total idiot and I was wrong about Trump. He was great and I totally support him 100%. Etc.

Instead he says, “I think he was a good president….” HOW LAME. What a LIAR. He still hates Trump and probably is a plant to upend the Senate Seat.

Write him off. Even if he made a strong apology he should get no endorsement until he proves in his ACTIONS that he supports Trump.

Dnav
Dnav

Ohio has a HISTORY of producing weak RINO Republicans who do nothing strong (except for a few, of course).

Trump needs to make sure to endorse a really strong pro-Trump candidate. His PACs ought to be looking for and recruiting new blood, someone who has a name and is strong but not establishment.

Josie
Josie

He’s a BS’r hoping to get elected again! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

Frances Weingarten
Frances Weingarten

I’m sure that the apology of the Ohio Senate candidate was accepted! However, given the fact that he was very negative about Pres. Trump, one does have to wonder just how sincere this apology and his sincerity was!

Dee S

We are all fed up with rinos who use the Trump name to further themselves and then abandon President Trump with their support when its needed. As far as I’m concerned I want nothing to do with them. Josh Mandel is the honest candidate for America! Anyone who deceives you pretends to be what they are not does not deserve your vote.

Edward Oscar DAIGLE
Edward Oscar DAIGLE

Vance is another RINO trying to get elected by linking up with Trump.

PeternSmith
PeternSmith

A day late and a dollar short.

David Taylor
David Taylor

Who says a jackass cannot change its colors?

Jill Kamphoff
Jill Kamphoff

Omg anyone that ever supported Rumney is not needed as a Trump supporter- very bad judgment! Not trust worthy …..

D. Cordes
D. Cordes

Why would anyone vote for a person who rode the bandwagon against a candidate of his own party but reverses like greased lightning when it becomes convenient? Turncoats are what they are. They can never be trusted and one is too many for the GOP.