The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has extended former President Trump’s Title 42 policy. The policy was introduced by Trump to help curb the spread of COVID-19 and prohibited some migrants from entering the country.
Fox News reports:
“This order was issued on August 2, 2021 and shall remain in effect until the CDC Director determines that the danger of further introduction of COVID-19 into the United States from covered noncitizens has ceased to be a serious danger to the public health, and the Order is no longer necessary to protect the public health,” the CDC said in a press release Monday. The agency said it will review the situation every 60 days “to ensure that the Order remains necessary to protect the public health.”
The extension comes amid claims that migrants with COVID-19 are being released into the U.S.
“We’re releasing people out of the door day in and day out with actual positive tests for COVID and more keep popping up,” Chris Cabrera, a vice president of the National Border Patrol Council, told Fox News on Saturday. Cabrera also said that people who do not exhibit symptoms are not tested at all.
Last week Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued an order barring providing ground transportation of migrants “who have been detained by CBP for crossing the border illegally or who would have been subject to expulsion under the Title 42 order.”
“The dramatic rise in unlawful border crossings has also led to a dramatic rise in COVID-19 cases among unlawful migrants who have made their way into our state, and we must do more to protect Texans from this virus and reduce the burden on our communities,” Abbott said in a statement upon issuing the order. “This Executive Order will reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure in our communities.”
The Biden administration has faced fierce criticism over its creation and lack of response to the border crisis that has quickly overwhelmed border resources.