North Carolina Democrat Rep. Announces Retirement

Steve Bott from Los Angeles, USA, via Wikimedia Commons

Another Democrat is bowing out of politics. On Thursday, North Carolina Democrat Rep. G.K. Butterfield announced he’s retiring ahead of next year’s 2022 midterms.

The Daily Wire reports:

“It is time for me to retire and allow the torch to be passed to someone who shares the values of the district and can continue the work I have labored so hard for the past 18 years,” Butterfield announced in a video posted to his official YouTube channel.

“I am proud of my work in Congress on behalf of my constituents, and I know that my life’s work of fighting for greater fairness and equity will not cease, even after the close of the 117th Congress,” Butterfield added.

Butterfield was elected to the House of Representatives in a special election in 2004, representing North Carolina’s 1st Congressional District. He is the Senior Chief Deputy Whip of the House Democratic Caucus, appointed this year to replace the late Congressman John Lewis. He currently serves on the House Energy & Commerce and Administration Committees. He also served stints on the House Armed Services, Agriculture, and Ethics Committees. Notably, he served as the chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus from 2015 to 2017.

Before he made the announcement officially, there was significant speculation from local news outlets that Butterfield was considering retirement. Butterfield was used to winning his district by comfortable margins, but because of redistricting, his race has become a toss-up, since a smaller share of the black voters who propelled him to those margins will be included in the redrawn district. “While I am hopeful that the courts will ultimately overturn this partisan map and see that a fair map is enacted, I have made the difficult decision that I will not seek reelection to the United States House of Representatives,” Butterfield said in his retirement announcement.

Will Republicans manage to flip Butterfield’s district in next year’s elections? Tell us what you think in the comments below!

Randy Tielkings
Randy Tielkings
1 year ago

Biden, Pelosi and Shummer and their policy’s are driving democrates into mass retirements. Sure they will vote four this build back worst policy but at what cost to the Democratic Party.

Ella Chapman
Ella Chapman
1 year ago

I’ve been working for this company online for 2 years now and i never been happier…
Visit following page for more information… 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤𝟎𝟏.𝐓𝐤

Sic of Politics
Sic of Politics
Reply to  Ella Chapman

WTFC!

1 year ago

What a laugh. This clown Butterfield is just another Democrat CAREER POLITICIAN that knows he is going to go down in the next election so, like the coward he is, he is bailing out.

The most pathetic thing this clown said was: “I have labored so hard for the past 18 years etc. etc. This jerk hasn’t done a damn thing for the past 18 years except vote the Democrat Party Line.

I don’t know how Butterfield will know that he is retired. He will work the same amount as when he was in office. And his crowning dishonest comment was; ““I am proud of my work in Congress….” We would be proud too if you had done any.

Puuhhleeze_09
Puuhhleeze_09
Reply to  Casey

He wants his guaranteed retirement benefits that he would lose access to if he ran for re-election and lost

True American
True American
Reply to  Puuhhleeze_09

They get to take their campaign funds with them at retirement. Could be millions. Slush fund

Puuhhleeze_09
Puuhhleeze_09
1 year ago

We don’t want them to retire! By going the retirement route these politicians get lifetime benefits that We The People end up paying for.

We want them to lose their re-election bid so that they lose any lifetime benefits that they would get by retiring.

Philip Hammersley
Philip Hammersley
Reply to  Puuhhleeze_09

They get benefits even if they lose! I don’t remember the number of years of “service” that are vested ,but not many!

StealthFighter
StealthFighter

BUH BYE!!!!!!

Gale Benton
Gale Benton
1 year ago

YEA, BUTTERCUP is retiring, he was useless.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog
1 year ago

Another cowardl politician afraid of loosing an election like the boy child kinzinger.

jgar
jgar
1 year ago

ALL DemoRATS need to LEAVE so we can get this wonderful country BACK to where it was when Trump was in office. TRUMP 2024

Lew Tripp
Lew Tripp
1 year ago

Lying sack of wasted schit. He has done nothing but suck the eagle.

Lessko Brandon
Lessko Brandon
1 year ago

Another degenerate scumbag abandons the Titanic. Still, I hope the rest if his life is filled with excessive pain and suffering!!

Broccoli Free Zone
Broccoli Free Zone
1 year ago

The writing is on the wall.

Greta
Greta
1 year ago

Mass exodus of the socialist dems is due to their utter defeat next year. Sort of like cowards bowing out.

DebV
DebV
1 year ago

Usually they redraw districts to the Dem advantage; it’s about time something goes the other way! So sad to see ’em all go .. NOT!!!

sly8ball
sly8ball
1 year ago

a lot of democrats dropping out the election races….think they see the writing on the wall?

Ben Matthews
Ben Matthews
1 year ago

This is just what demo(n)©rats do❗️If they can’t “rig” elections, they’ll just bail, election-fraud is the only option, left for them, to either, stay/die in office, for the ‘free’ funeral❓

Sic of Politics
Sic of Politics
1 year ago

Great, Now take the AHPOS RINOS with you. Win-win for everyone.

Sic of Politics
Sic of Politics
1 year ago

Reminds me of the 30 something republican mass exodus several years ago when President Trump resided in the WHITE house. They cause the democRATS a sure win when they backed stabbed President Trump. No backbone POS!