A New York appeals court has allowed The New York Times to temporarily hold onto copies of memos written by a lawyer for conservative journalism group Project Veritas.
The court order reverses a ruling from a lower New York court last week which required The New York Times to surrender physical copies and destroy electronic copies of files Project Vertias argued are protected by attorney-client privilege.
The Washington Examiner reports:
But one other facet of the order by Justice Charles Wood of the state Supreme Court in Westchester County that remains in place prevents the New York Times from publishing the memos discussing the methods of reporting of Project Veritas, which is suing the newspaper for defamation.
“We are pleased that parts of an unconstitutional order have been stayed,” said a New York Times spokesperson.
Project Veritas “joined [the New York Times] in its very limited request to maintain the status quo to allow appellate review because the proper administration of justice is paramount to American democracy, the First Amendment and the press’s freedom under it,” Elizabeth Locke, a lawyer for the group, said Tuesday.
A.G. Sulzberger, the publisher for the New York Times, reacted to Woods’s ruling Dec. 24 by saying it “should raise alarms” for supporters of press freedom and anyone who may be worried about government overreach.
The Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court has instructed Project Veritas to file its response by Jan. 14.