Rachel Maddows Airs Audio of House GOP Leader Calling on Trump to Resign

Kevin McCarthy via Gage Skidmore Flickr

House Leader Kevin McCarthy has some serious explaining to do.

After repeatedly denying reports that he called on former President Trump to resign following the Jan. 6th Capitol riot MSNBC host Rachel Maddow aired audio of a conversation between Reps. McCarthy, Liz Cheney, Steve Scalise, and Rep. Tom Emmer were also on the call where he can be heard saying he planned to ask Trump to resign.

According to The Washington Examiner:

“I’m seriously thinking of having that conversation with him tonight. I haven’t talked to him in a couple of days,” McCarthy said in response to a question from Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming about whether Trump might resign as the impeachment resolution was set to pass.

“The only discussion I would have with him is that I think this will pass, and it would be my recommendation you should resign,” McCarthy said in the recording.

“I’ve had it with this guy. What he did was unacceptable. Nobody can defend that, and nobody should defend it,” he added near the end of the conversation.

McCarthy’s office denied the reports that the California Republican said this. “McCarthy never said he’d call Trump to say he should resign,” said Mark Bednar, a spokesman for McCarthy. When asked again whether McCarthy had said he would push Trump to resign, Bednar again said he had not said that, Maddow revealed during her show.

Listen to the audio HERE.

Now the question remains of who leaked the audio over a year later? While the obvious suspect is Liz Cheney on Friday her office released a brief statement denying the Congresswoman released the audio.

“The select committee has asked Kevin McCarthy to speak with us about these events, but he has so far declined,” Cheney’s spokesperson said Friday, referring to the Jan. 6 committee. “Rep. Cheney did not record or leak the tape and does not know how the reporters got it.”

Do you believe her?

Don
Don

I get messages from him daily wanting my support when I KNOW he’s just another phony RINO who shouldn’t be in OUR government.

mtman2
mtman2
Reply to  Don

$$$$$$$$ = is their career game & God…!
WEthePeople + 3-Founding documents can go to H€LL

Joe
Joe

McCarthy and McConnel both hardcore rhinos, need to be removed, for the repukes to take back anything. These two traitors, are the reason American people never trust the repukes, and all other rhinos.The party is a disaster with these rhino leaders, so drop them or lose the best opportunity ever to leave the radical,commie party, in the dust for good.

Georgia Stafford
Georgia Stafford
Reply to  Joe

So True! – This RINO Jerk has put a Trump Target on his back – President Trump will not stand for this – he will come after the phony – AND SO WILL WE TRUMP SUPPORTERS.

Puddinhead

I believe McCarthy implied that he never asked Trump to resign despite saying on the phone call with Cheney that he would do so. We don’t have a recording of McCarthy actually asking the president to step down, therefore this is simply pot stirring from Maddows once again.

Dan
Dan

You have to believe me. I’m liz Clinton. Er, Cheney

Metoo
Metoo

Having watched that day on the news I still wonder what Trump actually did that was illegal. Everyone, including the President, can peacefully protest.

GlenEarl55
GlenEarl55
Reply to  Metoo

I agree with you, as I watched it also. He never once said to storm the Capital to prevent the certification of this fraud election.

Philip Byler
Philip Byler

NO to McCarthy becoming Speaker McCarthy. He showed himself to be an untrustworthy Establishment RINO. We don’t want that and don’t need that.

Candyce Clanton
Candyce Clanton

We all know McCarthy is a RINO & hopefully someone will fight him for the Speaker of the House position – I always throught it would be good if Trump ran for the House Speaker not McCarthy. I think McCarthy is thinking this will get him to the President’s Desk!

maxibaby
maxibaby

Should DJT run in 2024 and win…….if McConnell and McCarthy are the majority leaders, they will be pressured, squeezed and mashed until they vacate their seats one way or the other! I would actually be surprised if they are not pushed out even prior to the presidential race because they are true RINO, both have lied to us about what they have said and done on many occasions and THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED with the best interest of our party! If they would stab DJT in the back they would stab any Republican President in the back if they so wanted! I have watched McConnell say one thing and do another, caving to the Democrats, until he nauseates me to look at him. McCarthy is a California son who is probably cut from the same cloth McConnell!

Joe
Joe

JUDAS !!!

Just me
Just me

The thought police are withholding my comment. So much for Trumptrainnews allowing free speech and supporting my first amendment rights. They are no better than FB, TWTR AND GUGL.

Jay
Jay

It’s a set up by the Piglosi Posse from the beginning. Her way to do anything to stop Trump from running again!! This whole thing when looked at and also seeing how they
are treating the ones locked up in that DC jail is beyond comprehension!! They are in
control now and getting away with these 3rd world treatments!!! Piglosi will stop at
nothing to accomplish her goal. They are fighting a time battle. The best out come will
be seeing her gavel being taken away !!!!!! That will be priceless !!!!! Look at who she
hand picked for the commission and would not budge or allow any choice from the other
side…..wonder why??? We all know why!!!

PAUL MEYER
PAUL MEYER

I GET 3 TO 4 REQUEST A DAY FROM THE RNC ASKING FOR MONEY. I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THEM UNTIL ALL THE RINO’S LEAVE LIKE McCARTHY, McCONNELL AND
THE REST OF THE RINO’S. I ONLY SUPPORT REPUBLICANS I FEEL I CAN TRUST.

HadEnough
HadEnough
Reply to  PAUL MEYER

So Do I

Anna J Patti.
Anna J Patti.

NO. She lies just like the rest of them. McCarthy. McCain, McConnell and Lindsey Graham all RINO’s and losers. They are part of the swamp. DRAIN THE SWAMP.

M Carolyn Jones
M Carolyn Jones
Reply to  Anna J Patti.

So glad to hear others pinpointing the Rinos and voicing it in agreement.

Noe Rodriguez

He being from California makes it even more credible that he did say that. Just another RINO in the house.

OldestSeaDog
OldestSeaDog

JUST ANOTHER BACKSTABBER….I feel for President Trump, except for his family members that worked for him, it appears that most if not all others were backstabbing him every chance they could.
Now, today, many of these same people are calling on him to endorse them as they run for re-election. How about NO RINOs EVER AGAIN?
If this nation can rid ourselves of BACKSTABBERS (formerly known as RINOs) and never vote for a democrat, you think we can save this wonderful nation of ours?

Patriciao

I would never vote for him!! I never trusted him and I knew he is a rino!! He’s a power seeking jerk who wants to be speaker of the house!! President Trump will soon be back in office and that imposter who was cheated in and forced on us will soon be exposed and kicked to the curb!!

Grampa
Grampa

I have little trust with any politician from any party. they all just want to get rich on the American dime.——-Grampa

Jeff
Jeff

This is good for us to know McCarthy’s real stance; now we can replace him by voting for a true Conservative. Not too smart on MSNBC’s part to expose McCarthy. It’s in the Dem’s best interest that RINO’s are not exposed.