Facebook Launches New Round of Censorship Ahead of Nov. Elections

Facebook's transition to Meta — in 3D. More 3D app icons like these are coming soon. You can find my 3D work in the collection called "3D Design". Dima Solomin via Unsplash.

On Tuesday, Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, has announced it will be gagging all political ads ahead of the November General Election.

Washington Times reports:

Meta President Nick Clegg wrote that the social media titan has hundreds of people spread across 40 teams focused on the U.S. midterms. Mr. Clegg is a former U.K. deputy prime minister and leader of the Liberal Democrats who handles Meta’s interactions with governments around the world.

“Our teams fight both foreign interference and domestic influence operations, and have exposed and disrupted dozens of networks that have attempted to interfere with U.S. elections,” Mr. Clegg wrote on Meta’s blog. “We’ve banned more than 270 white supremacist organizations, and removed 2.5 million pieces of content tied to organized hate globally in the first quarter of 2022.”

Mr. Clegg said his company is spending money on “proactive threat detection” and would expand its policies to address coordinated harassment and threats against election officials and poll workers.

Following from its 2020 playbook, Meta is also planning to pause all new political, electoral, and social issue ads in the final week before the 2022 election. Ads that have previously aired will continue to do so but any edits of the existing ads will also be blocked.

Clegg wrote, “Our rationale for this restriction period remains the same as 2020: in the final days of an election, we recognize there may not be enough time to contest new claims made in ads.” He added, “This restriction period will lift the day after the election and we have no plans to extend it.”

Don
Don
1 month ago

Don’t use the trash. It should be called Fakebook or Farcebook.

andy
andy
Reply to  Don

Don: So right, just more far left communist democrap censorship and bullshit.

Ed D.
Ed D.
Reply to  Don

fecalbook!

Arthur Fozorelli
Reply to  Don

They still will let democrats / liberals trash President Trump all they want !

Char
Char
Reply to  Don

I won’t; I can read/hear all the political ads I want on GAB, a REAL American social media site! This is what FREEDOM feels like! The difference between the two sites is like day and night.

Mike Piscelli
Mike Piscelli
Reply to  Don

F**k Facebook & Meta. All conservatives should willingly delete and close down their facebook/meta account and show that s***** company who’s really the boss.

CGR37912
CGR37912
1 month ago

So, in other words, we take it that you are suppressing White Supremacist groups that you decide who is and who is not a white supremacist group or you are suppressing all geroups regardless of who is putting them out? This just sounds like more censorship of a party that you don’t like. There is only one way to deal with the matter, if you are going to censor at all it should be all parties or you need to be shut down. And that can happen.

Matt

Only fools are on Facebook

;^(
;^(
1 month ago

Elections ARE influence operations!
Stay out of our elections!!

Bill Williams
1 month ago

Oh BS, let’s see how many of those ‘liberal’ ads they block.

Lillian
Lillian
1 month ago

Skeptical of who they consider to be a white supremacist and what they consider hate speech.

Char
Char
1 month ago

I’ve already been blocked from FB, or kicked off, for exercising my First Amendment right of expression, or freedom of speech/press, so I don’t have to worry about this. (When I try to log in, I’m told, “the email address you have provided is not connected to an account,” YET, I’m getting DAILY FB notifications in that very email account about all my FB friends’ new posts and other activity.) Whichever it was (blocked, kicked off, hacked or cloned), I can’t get into my own account, and I wasn’t warned beforehand, nor can I read a living, breathing human being in the form of a customer-support person. I’m left with only the option of reporting them to the U.S. Department of Commerce for their politically biased act of banning me. Anyway, in their above quote, “On Tuesday, Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, has announced it will be gagging all political ads ahead of the November General Election,” they left out the word “conservative” before “ads” (since we KNOW they won’t be gagging any LIBERAL political ads! They never have, never will!) It’s only conservatives they’ll be “gagging,” watch and see.

Angie
Angie
1 month ago

“White supremist organizations”?? You have to wonder who falls under that category, according to the Dems. According to THEM, any Trump supporter is a white supremist, so we know, now, that all of our posts will be blocked but the Dems will have a field day (or week) before the midterms!

Capt Rich
Capt Rich
1 month ago

Shows how much they are really afraid of Trump