Pompeo Details Trump Admin's Plans to Deal With Iraq Embassy Attack

  • 2020-01-02
  • Source: TTN
  • by: TTN Staff
 
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo appeared on Fox News to discuss the Trump administration's plans as they deal with the attack on the US Embassy in Iraq.

Pompeo made it clear that the US will not evacuate the embassy and troops will not withdraw from the country.

According to The Daily Wire:

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday night that the Trump administration will not be backing down in Iraq after the attack this week by Iranian-backed terrorists on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

Appearing on Fox News’s “Special Report” with guest host Mike Emanuel, Pompeo said that the administration has no plans to evacuate the embassy in Baghdad and no plans to withdraw the troops that are in Iraq.

“This is 40 years of the Islamic Republic of Iran engaged in global terror campaigns, nuclear weapons dreams, and nuclear enrichment capability to existing today,” Pompeo said. “We came in when the previous administration had provided lots of money, lots of money that was used for that nuclear program, lots of money that had been used for terror all around the world develop their missile program.”

“The Trump administration’s taking a very different view,” Pompeo continued. “We put real pressure on the Islamic Republic of Iran. We will continue to do so and we saw the president say today we will continue to hold the Islamic Republic of Iran accountable wherever we find their malign activity, and we’ll make sure we have the resources to do so.”

Pompeo pointed to the devastating effects the economic sanctions are having on Iran. They have caused unrest in the country but the regime has responded brutally against its people.

 Source: TTN

People, Places & Things

Article Index
X