The Trump administration has previously accused Tehran of being responsible for the attacks on four oil tankers in the same area on May 12th.
WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday blamed Iran for attacks this morning on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman near Iran and the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping route through which much of the world’s oil passes.
“Iran is lashing out because the regime wants our successful maximum pressure campaign lifted,” Pompeo said. “No economic sanctions entitle the Islamic Republic to attack innocent civilians, disrupt global oil markets and engage in nuclear blackmail.”
“The international community condemns Iran’s assault on the freedom of navigation
The White House said President Donald Trump had been briefed and that the U.S. government would continue to assess the situation. Washington accused Tehran of being behind a similar attack on May 12 on four tankers in the same area, a vital shipping route through which much of the world’s oil passes.