Republicans Threaten Facebook Over Trump Ruling

Gage Skidmore from Surprise, AZ, United States of America, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

This morning, Facebook’s independent Oversight Board ruled not to overturn former President Trump’s ban from the platform. The platform first banned the 45th president following the Jan. 6th Capitol riot but said it would revisit the ban later. Once Facebook issued its ruling Republicans were quick to criticize the overreach by the big tech platform and many called for Facebook to punished or broken up.

Click NEXT PAGE to see how Republicans have reacted:

Mikey
Mikey

Empty threats. Any legislation would not pass out of Congress with the current makeup, and would face a sure veto if it did. And Comrade Zuckerberg knows it.

alicia
Reply to  Mikey

comrade sucksbird is a lizard, filled with vitriol. I d love to see him under a bridge as a homeless worm.

henk_USA
henk_USA

dear Facebook, please be sure that you’ll be sued = sue of century, 100 Billion or more.
same to Twitter….

trevor
trevor
Reply to  henk_USA

Lets kick the fuckerberg in the goolies, if he has any, and send him into orbit in space where he belongs.

Mandy Martin
Mandy Martin
Reply to  trevor

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

JDAVIS951
JDAVIS951

They need to be broken up or driven into bankruptcy!

teresa
teresa
Reply to  JDAVIS951

Let’s not waste our breath and hate on trash, which these sites definately are!! ugh!!

Colleen Mara
Colleen Mara
Reply to  teresa

Let’s not use any of them!! Who needs them anyway???? Their just an excuse to be noisy!!

Mandy Martin
Mandy Martin
Reply to  JDAVIS951

Both!

Sage
Sage

Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Carnegie, and other robber barons like Zuckerberg thought they were untouchable too.

alicia
Reply to  Sage

his time will come.

Colleen Mara
Colleen Mara
Reply to  Sage

They created something tangible, Social networks are not!!!

sandra Waechter
sandra Waechter

Find a way to take them, Facebook down

scd

That is easy if they have the votes they could just declare those a public utility and then there would be some real consequences to the action they take.

policestate

Now they need to grow bigger ones and file Impeacment papers against the top Democrats.

Reply to  policestate

You can’t do that as the democ rats are the ones that have to start and impeachment.

Richard R. Tryon
Richard R. Tryon

I hope Facebook cancels half of its contributors and that the other half just quit and use an uncensored path sans excessive vulgarities.

Gary
Gary

I just deactivated my account. They only way to hurt them is with the loss of subscribers. No customers, no company.

Amy
Amy

If all conservatives would stop using Facebook it would be a start in stifling big tech.

Colleen Mara
Colleen Mara
Reply to  Amy

That’s the best idea and way to deal with them.

Jay
Jay

F U Facebook for not following the first amendment.

alicia
Reply to  Jay

he cleans himself with it every day.

Lisa
Lisa

I don’t understand why people don’t delete their Facebook accounts. Facebook is crap never had it never will.

Ursula
Ursula
Reply to  Lisa

you can’t really delete it. Just don’t go in there anymore. Maybe you can erase your name from it. I stay in touch with my friends and family. Other than that FB is quite boring.

Jawad
Jawad

If Republicans return to ascendancy AND if they develop c.o.j.o.n.e.s, they MUST take action against the ‘private’ corporate arbiters of speech who give free voice to radicals, anarchists and terrorists while silencing Americans they don’t like. No more woulda-could-shoulda: MUST. Get with the program or else. The days of reaching across the aisle to the radical Marxist Democrats are OVER.

anniedawn
Reply to  Jawad

Senator Josh Hawley commented on this when he was fist elected and is still beating the drum against it. He is really in to it. I think he has a bill written for the breaking up of Big Tech. Now what we need is a feisty Senator like Blackburn (?) who would probably bring TREASON cases against the likes of Pelosi Schiff Swallwell and the SQUAD, and, of course, Biden and Harris

Bret
Bret

Empty threats that’s all the Republicans know, it’s long past time for the Republicans to start using the Demo RAT Playbook against them! The Demo RATS love breaking every law every day and killing people and getting not even a slap on the wrist for it! Time for the Republicans to have their own Henchman to come help them out! Just get my classified military file from the CIA! I’m sure you will find me very capable of the mission needed to drop the Demo RATS to their knees trembling in fear! Sincerely Massive Dragon1, the CIA’s Green Reaper 1991! Kill ‘Em all and let GOD Sort ‘Em Out! Hooah!

teresa
teresa
Reply to  Bret

in a way I see your point to start being like them, but we don’t want to bring ourselves down to their leve! we can do more by ignoring them, bc they are the insecure ones, meanwhile we are laughing behind their backs!! i want to throw rocks at them believe me, but pushing our way upwards is a better choice! hope you agree

anniedawn
Reply to  teresa

I partially agree but we need to start kicking azz and taking names as several of my cousins say.

Reply to  anniedawn

looks like you have some smart cousins, more than 2/3rds of the rest of the cry babys who always want some to do something but are never willing to do it themselves.

Reply to  teresa

well you keep pushing yourself up out of the mud and they will just keep pushing your head back in to it, but them maybe you like the taste of mud, the point is if you don’t do anything then nothing will get done.

John 3:16
John 3:16

Pretty simple every true American needs to ban Facebook also Twitter. You can still write a letter or pick up the phone and talk to your friends and family. That is how we did it in the 70’s and 80’s then the cell phones and computer shit happened. Put an end to all this by not purchasing the newest cell phone or computer. Cancel them.

maria
Reply to  John 3:16

Ah John, you do not know that the cell companies can leave you out of service for not wanting to up-grade the cell, didn’t you? A 3G cell won’t work anymore, minimum a 4G
is mandatory, according to Verizon, go figure!

Reply to  maria

The hard line still exist and if the phone company started to shut off the cells that might just be a blessing, think of all the car wrecks that would be avoided, the all we would have to worry about is drunks.

teresa
teresa
Reply to  John 3:16

millenials don’t want to listen

Reply to  teresa

You have to send them text messages, that is what they are programed to receive.

Marc Jeric
Marc Jeric

Facebook is a propaganda arm of the Communist Party USA.

Ursula
Ursula
Reply to  Marc Jeric

So is the Teachers Union

Frances Weingarten
Frances Weingarten

Facebook and others of their ilk might well find themselves out of work if they continue their snotty “do as I say” attitude! They seem to forget that there are other places continually growing that might well take over these that currently exist!

Frances Weingarten
Frances Weingarten

I’m pleased ot hear that the Republicans are threatening Facebook! It’s well past time that Facebook and others of their ilk are informed that their snotty attitude is not at all acceptable, and that, in fact, they are responsible to those to whom they send their messages! I have no desire to hear that Facebook dislikes President Trump or any other such statements! Whatever Facebooks role is, if it isn’t appropriate to most people, they will soon enough find themselves without any people to send their messages to!

Richard

Spread the word ban Facebook and censor the furor Zuckerberg.

Bret
Bret

Life is war! Those stealing our constitutional rights and to try turn us into a communist nation deserve nothing but to be declared Treasonous Traitors, our Enemy and sentenced to Death under the UCMJ! I meet all qualifications to do so and am far beyond willing to enact all of the Blood Work! The Universal Code of Military Justice does not play nice, it does not play fair it does not play at all it just kills period! Unlike civilian laws there is no way to escape its wrath for any reason!

Charles Greer
Charles Greer

Don’t let Facebook take away free speech, bust them up . Tweter also.

Bev Wetterich
Bev Wetterich

Why is it never an IN rep?

oldedude
oldedude

I just read the “New York Times’ ” (NYT) version of this story and, tho’ they do the “it’s a shame, but” thing, they come down in favor of Facebook’s election to ban Trump because he “lies constantly” (direct quote). Speaking as a retired lawyer, who’s handled Constitutional cases, I find that interesting. Is the NYT saying EVERYTHING Trump says is a lie (thereby justifying a blanket ban)? And (barring the strictures of Sullivan v. NYT) does that assertion then become actionable (and/or do Facebook’s actions become challengeable) if 1% of his posts are not lies? 40%? 50%? 51%? What’s the cut-off and is it universally applied? And, conversely, does that “rule” imply that anything Facebook doesn’t ban is necessarily “true”? Or “true and accurate” (no, they are not precisely the same thing) or true to the specified quantum of truth applied to Trump’s posts? Does allowing Facebook to make these decisions mean that anything they do print/don’t ban has Facebook’s imprimatur? Does their endorsement constitute their adoption of those messages as their own? This is a very bold step (“bold”, in this case, meaning “dangerous and stupid”) for Facebook. At the very least it makes them vicariously responsible for defending anything they allow to be published and given the kind of trash that makes it onto Facebook every day, it shouldn’t be hard to find anti-Trump assertions made which are so outrageous that not even “Sullivan” can protect them (and the “Sullivan” holding is now up for review and who wants to bet that Brett Kavanaugh will not be the Justice writing the majority opinion?). Let’s face it, Facebook (and Twitter and, increasingly, YouTube) has stepped well outside the protections of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and they may be vulnerable even if that section is not repealed or modified, which it will be. Let us hope that the media and Big Tech are on the eve of a much needed “comeuppance”. It should be a most interesting experience for all involved.

teresa
teresa

Trump doesn’t need FB or twitter – he will do just fine when his site comes up! I have never joined FB but I will join our President Trump’s social media site! looking forward to
commenting with other like minded good patriots. President Trump come back please1

Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson

The best way to take FB down is to stop using it. Find a different platform for sharing your lives with others, and stop using FB. If you can’t find another one, find a hobby or something that you can devote all of that time you spend on FB to. I did. It’s amazing how much I can find to do without FB. The internet is CRAMMED with all kinds of other interesting and fun things to do. Cooking, Crafting, Decorating, Yard Decorations, Gardening, Fishing, Hunting, Birdwatching, the list is endless. And fun to navigate.

Fran
Fran
Reply to  Nancy Anderson

I did not know I was on FB for I am one of the old people. My son showed me how to get off. I hope I did it correctly. I will check to ensure I am completely off FB. Wish me luck.

Frank Gugino sr
Frank Gugino sr

AT THIS TIME, I DONT KNOW HOW TO DIS ASSOCIATE FROM FACEBOOK, BUT I WILL FIND A WAY FOR SURE!!!

alicia

The more I hear donkeys the more I feel contempt towards them. They are so repugnant they make me want to throw up ! Destroying this great country is their objetive, Once it goes down, the rest of the world will too.!

djea3
djea3

I say make the executives directly responsible for trafficking 14 year old girls and any other illegal act if they ban people for political reasons. Make them responsible for ALL illegal acts. If the company can track politics and ban automatically, they can easily track unlawful activities.

Carol
Carol

FACE BOOK IS FAKE NEWS

Betty Rickmond
Betty Rickmond

President Trump doesn’t need Facebook
to still remain in our minds and hearts as
the best President we’ve had since President
Reagan. Facebook should treat all users
the same, Democrats or Republicans.

Marsha Hays
Marsha Hays

Bout time they decided to take some action against these ridiculous penalties big tech has applied to our President

Frances Weingarten
Frances Weingarten

The Republicans are doing the right thing to threaten Facebook over a Trump ruling! Since when does Facebook have the right to sensor others? That isn’t what Facebook is supposed to be about and quite frankly, I find it extremely unacceptable behaviour! There are many who hate Trumpj and others and there are also many who consider him a worthwhile President. That isn’t what matters though! What matters is Facebook’s sensorship, which should never have happened! ‘

speedle
speedle

Nikki Haley? Hmmmmm….I must be dreaming. I could have sworn she blasted Trump for the debacle at the Capital. What is all this supposed to mean?

Pat
Pat

I quit Facebook about 6 months ago. For the last 6 months I have tried other social media sites and have found out that that there are Intelligent, courteous, free thinking people who are on these sites and I have learned a lot. Facebook and Twitter will eventually fail as Americans finally see the truth about them. Watch out the next three years will really be hard on them

Carol