Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ordered the military to begin drafting reservists aged 18 to 60 into its armed forces as the country prepares for a possible invasion by Russia. The reservists would serve for a maximum of one year.
The Hill reports:
On Tuesday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ruled out a general mobilization in addition to announcing that he would introduce the conscription of reservists, according to the news service.
“There is no need for general mobilization today. We need to promptly replenish the Ukrainian army and other military formations,” the president said.
“As the supreme commander in chief of the armed forces of Ukraine, I issued a decree on the conscription of reservists during a special period,” he added.
Zelensky also said that his decisions were to “increase the readiness of the Ukrainian army for all possible changes,” and he criticized countries that have removed their embassies from the country.
Ukraine’s move to bolster its forces comes after Putin recognized the so-called Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics in eastern Ukraine as independent and ordered troops into Ukraine’s Donbas region earlier this week.