Biden Sues Arizona Over Elections Law

Photo by Gage Skidmore

On Tuesday, the Biden administration sued the state of Arizona over its law requiring proof of citizenship before voting in a presidential election.

In March, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed a new law into effect mandating that voters show documentary proof of citizenship in order to vote by mail or vote in a federal election.

The Daily Wire reports:

“House Bill 2492’s onerous documentary proof of citizenship requirement for certain federal elections constitutes a textbook violation of the National Voter Registration Act,” Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke said in a statement.

“Arizona has passed a law that turns the clock back on progress by imposing unlawful and unnecessary requirements that would block eligible voters from the registration rolls for certain federal elections,” Clarke added.

The DOJ’s Civil Rights Division is leading the lawsuit. The lawsuit argues that the Arizona law violates the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA), which requires that voters before participating in a federal election fill out a federal form. While the form does not require documented proof of citizenship, it does ask under penalty of perjury whether or not one is a citizen.

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich responded to the lawsuit in a post on Twitter: “It’s another round of Brnovich v. Biden as his DOJ continues its attempts to undermine our election integrity laws. I will see you in court. Again.”

“Federal law prohibits non-citizens from voting in federal elections. Arizona law prohibits non-citizens from voting for all state and local offices, and requires proof of citizenship,” Ducey said in a letter.

Rick
Rick

Biden is a fool. He should direct his energy towards the huge problems that he created. He is a total waste.

MARK
MARK
Reply to  Rick

BIDEN AND COMPANY SHOULD ALL BE HUNG FOR TREASON PERIOD. NO DEMORAT KANGAROO COURT JUDGES OR LAWYERS. WE ALL KNOW WHERE THE PROBLEMS ARE COMING FROM AND THE SO CALLED ADMINISTRATION CREATING ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS LET’S DO WHAT THEY DID IN THE OLDEN DAYS AND GET RID OF THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS. USE THE 2nd AND 4th AMENDMENTS. WAKE UP AMERICA!

mach37
mach37
Reply to  Rick

Biden has no clue as to how destructive his actions have been. And that goes for the fools for that voted for him, too.

Nine Island Girl
Nine Island Girl

Why do DEMONKRAPS resist voter ID at all costs???? By cheating it’s their only way to win!!!

msgleo
msgleo

This is the solution to the illegal immigration problem that O’Biden started. Now he is going to waste more tax payer’s money to try and allow illegals to vote in presidential elections, this should be grounds for impeachment.

MARK
MARK
Reply to  msgleo

YOU MEAN HANGING

mark
mark
Reply to  msgleo

you actually believe this started under Biden or obama? this has been going on for decades with the pace of entry increasing significantly under these two Presidents

Tom
Tom

no document required and under penalty of perjury. As I understand it perjury is lying under oath. Every Democsrook is under oath and lie their assas off every day

Sissy
Sissy

I think everyone that lives in the United States should prove they’re a citizen before they can vote. I would be happy to prove my citizenship. The only ones that are against this are the ones that are voting illegally.

RRRoger
RRRoger

Of course the corrupt Democrats want illegal aliens to vote and elections without ID so they can win and stuff ballot boxes with fraudulent votes.
How else can they win?

Ben Matthews
Ben Matthews

Why do you think Brandon & the rest of these crooked-demo(n)©️-rats, want open borders❓

Colleen
Colleen

They are not eligible if they are illegal. If they can’t show documentation that they are here legally then it should be noted and passed along to law enforcement (not that they’d do much about it) but we need to start weeding out illegal voters. We know this is the demon-rats end game. By hook or by crook!

lynwebb
lynwebb

He needs to stay out of state affairs. That’s the job of branches of government. Not the president. He needs to focus on the economy, immigration, world situations that could and would effect our entire country. Let the DOJ handle state issues.

Joe
Joe

Is Biden trying to see how stupid he can be? What a moron, traitor for a president!!

FormerLiberalnowConservative
FormerLiberalnowConservative

This was how the election in 2020 was stolen and they cheated. Masses of illegal aliens voted and changed the election. Bravo to Arizona for this law requiring proof of citizenship to vote. No more cheating.
Proving citizenship is easy. If you were born here like I was then your birth certificate will suffice. If now made into a citizen due to lawful immigration then you have papers to prove it.
Lying Biden is being manipulated by the far left. This is Obama’s third term.

Goh Heung Yong
Goh Heung Yong

Incredible buffoonery. Are Democrats idiots or traitors ? What country with honest elections would allow non-citizens to vote ? There should not even be any voting by mail. Voting by mail should only be for rare exceptions..

mach37
mach37

Can the President even legally bring suit against a state? Or, in the writer’s ambiguous prose, is it the Federal Government, rather than the President, who is bringing suit? What is the actual nature of Biden’s attacks on Arizona and Texas? Details, please.

mach37
mach37

Please don’t publish my previous comment! You need a link for at least deleting a comment, if not editing it.

Stephanie
Stephanie

In 1986 to work for the Westin in Tucson, I had to fill out an I-9 form, provide my BIRTH CERTIFICATE, drivers license and social security card to get a job as a waitress. I am white and was born in America. I asked why I had to do this, and was told that because of illegals, we had to prove citizenship to be hired. My God, if that was required in the 80’s to get a waitress job, there should be NO ISSUES now to have to prove citizenship to vote. But DEMS allow illegals to vote and promise them anything, but FAIL TO KEEP PROMISES, because all DEMS want are their votes. Once they have their vote, the DEMS don’t care if they all end up in Obama’s cages.

Stephen Russell
Stephen Russell

NO back off, states rights

Stephania
Stephania

I posted this yesterday, but it was NOT approved. In 1986 when applying for a job to work as a waitress at the Westin in Tucson, AZ, I had to completed and sign an I-9 form, show my birth certificate, driver’s license and social security card. We had just moved to AZ, and were not familiar with the process, but we NEEDED work! I asked why they were asking for all of this information. I was told that they are very careful NOT to hire illegals, and that all employees must prove to be US citizens. This was in 1986. I am an American, born in America, but I had to prove who I was just to get a job to feed our family. There should be NO ISSUES with having to provide proof of being a citizen of America to VOTE. But DEMS want illegal votes so that they can continue on their path to ruin America, and turn us into a 3rd world nation that depends on the government.

Robert L. Scott
Robert L. Scott

Once the democrats lose most of their seats in November we can clean up the mess they’ve dumped over our heads, and make sure they never have a possibility of cheating again. But our weak-spine members in Congress better realize that their asses are on the line too. I’m very tired of Republican reps bowing to the left!