Indictment Speculation Grows Amid Federal Grand Jury Meeting
- Lawyers for former President Trump hold a meeting with Special Counsel Jack Smith and his team in Washington D.C., amid potential federal indictment rumors tied to the Jan. 6 investigation.
- Federal grand jury scheduled to meet at a Washington courthouse on the same day, fueling speculation about imminent indictment.
Trump Receives Target Letter and Expects Arrest
- Trump discloses receipt of a target letter from the Justice Department, obligating his appearance before the federal grand jury.
- Expresses belief in the likelihood of arrest and indictment.
- Criticizes the DOJ’s handling of the matter, alleging political weaponization and interference with the 2024 GOP presidential primary.
Focus of Special Counsel’s Investigation
- Special Counsel Jack Smith’s investigation centers on possible obstruction of the peaceful transfer of power by Trump and other officials/entities after the 2020 presidential election.
- Includes the certification of the Electoral College vote on January 6, 2021.
Jan. 6 Capitol Breach and Impeachment
- Pro-Trump rioters breach the U.S. Capitol during a joint session of Congress on January 6, 2021.
- Articles of impeachment drafted against Trump for inciting an insurrection.
- Becomes the first president in history to be impeached twice.
- Senate acquittal prevents disqualification from federal office and allows a potential 2024 White House run.
Previous Indictment on Classified Records Charges
- Trump previously indicted in June for improper retention of classified records after his presidency.
- First time a former U.S. president faces federal criminal charges.