Twitter erupted Tuesday afternoon as a lawyer who formerly worked in the White House Counsel’s Office during President Barack Obama‘s presidency tweeted that the Trump Administration “just advised that the decision has been made to print the census questionnaire WITHOUT the citizenship question.”
Here’s the email from DOJ pic.twitter.com/PdyfK0a1hJ— Daniel Jacobson (@Dan_F_Jacobson) July 2, 2019
A lot of groups have sued the Trump administration over a lot of things. On the stakes alone, this is their biggest victory yet. https://t.co/pyy03YC0WA— Matt Ford (@fordm) July 2, 2019
President Trump had previously promised to hold up the printing of the forms until the question was added. This move is in direct contradiction to that promise.
The email said that the printer has been “instructed to begin the printing process.”
Earlier Tuesday, Law&Crime reported that the Trump Administration missed the deadline it set to begin printing census forms and mailers. It appeared that the government was still trying to figure out how to respond to last week’s decision in the Supreme Court, which blocked the addition of the question. The justices decided that the lower court warranted in blocking the addition of the question.
SCOTUS also said there was a “significant mismatch between the decision the [Commerce] Secretary [Wilbur Ross] made and the rationale he provided.”