Brittney Griner Faces Verdict From Russian Court

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and WNBA star Brittney Griner via Wikimedia Commons

On Thursday, a Russian court handed down a decision finding WNBA star Brittney Griner guilty of drug possession and drug smuggling.

Fox News reports:

She was also fined 1 million rubles.

Russian prosecutors asked the court to hand Griner a 9.5-year prison sentence. The defense then started its arguments. Griner faces up to 10 years in prison. Griner offered an apology ahead of the sentencing.

“I want to apologize to my teammates, my club, my fans and the city of (Yekaterinburg) for my mistake that I made and the embarrassment that I brought on them,” she said. “I want to also apologize to my parents, my siblings, the Phoenix Mercury organization back at home, the amazing women of the WNBA, and my amazing spouse back at home.”

She added: “Hope in your ruling it does not end my life.”

StealthFighter
StealthFighter

BYE!!!!!

MikeyParks
MikeyParks
9 days ago

I think she owes the US a big apology as well. With 8 or so years to think about it, maybe she’ll look more kindly toward America.

bruce991
bruce991
Reply to  MikeyParks

Probably NOT!

Richard
Richard
9 days ago

This is what happens when you are stupid and bring something considered illegal into hostile foreign countries, even if it was accidental. Know the rules before you go. Yes, the sentence is excessive and Russia does things to purposely antagonize the US, but we must live with the consequences of our own actions. We can certainly consider a prisoner swap, but first make sure that the others being held ‘unjustly’ are taken care of first AND we do not swap an international terrorist for this low level crime.

Colorado Cowboy
Colorado Cowboy
9 days ago

Hostage? That’s Silly! She violated Russian law, thinking her “celebrity status in the US would keep her out of jail, and got caught! Stupid has its consequences (at least outside of democrat run cities in the US).

sam
sam
9 days ago

Just because having legalization pot in the U.S. does not mean that you can bring it to another country where it is not legal. She/He should had know better to bring it over to Russia.It is her/him own fault. I do not feel sorry for her/him.

G BAR RED
G BAR RED
Reply to  sam

LOLOLOL ! SHE/HE LOLOLOL ! I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO HEAR THAT HER WHITE RUSSIAN CELL MATES BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HER/HIM LOLOLOL!

Dan
Dan
9 days ago

Now for some anti American propaganda

Valerie Van Gundy
Valerie Van Gundy
9 days ago

I wonder what she would say about AMERICA NOW. No pity, you knew better.

Bill Williams
9 days ago

Do the crime do the time. What is wrong with these people? Go to Russia with drugs, that is just plain stupid. We all know they lie in wait to catch some American doing a wrong.

Gideon Rockwell
Gideon Rockwell
9 days ago

She should be happy. She is in that socialist utopia she always wanted America to be.

Nine Island Girl
Nine Island Girl
9 days ago

Couldn’t agree with you more!!!
We have quite a few more here in our country that should experience what its like not living in our great country.

Tim Kuehl
Tim Kuehl
9 days ago

Russia wants to keep her for 9.5 years? Works for me.

Michael T Navarre
9 days ago

She might realize that the US is not such a bad place after all. Some people have to learn the hard way.

StealthFighter
StealthFighter
9 days ago

“IT” doesn’t like America. Well, this is Karma!!!! Add 20 more years russia!!!

Daniel Plainview
Daniel Plainview
8 days ago

Was hoping that anti-American bull dyke would get 20 years. Guess it realizes now that it is not some place where it is considered special and can do what it wants without consequences.