Trump’s Skyrocketing Lead in GOP Race Shocks Pollsters, But Can He Shake Off Biden?
Trump’s Increasing Lead in GOP Nomination
- The latest poll from Emerson College reveals that former President Donald Trump holds a commanding lead in the race for the Republican presidential nomination for 2024.
- He currently garners support from 59% of GOP voters.
- Trump’s closest contender, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, trails significantly with just 12% support, followed by a range of other candidates in single digits.
- This 47-point advantage marks Trump’s most significant lead since Emerson began monitoring the 2024 race in June 2022.
General Election Remains a Stalemate
- In contrast to the GOP nomination race, Trump does not show a clear advantage when competing directly against President Joe Biden.
- Recent Emerson polling data shows a 45% tie in support between Biden and Trump among general election voters.
Concerns Over Biden’s Age
- Emerson’s survey also delved into perceptions around President Biden’s age as a factor affecting his performance.
- A significant majority of Republican voters (79%) and over half of independents (54%) believe Biden’s age negatively impacts his capability to serve as president.
- Among those who feel Biden’s age is an issue, 67% would vote for Trump, while only 21% would still opt for Biden, and 12% remain undecided.