Will A Third-Party Run By Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Split Votes For Trump, Or Steal Votes From Biden?
Trump Gains in Polls
- Echelon Insights survey indicates a favorable scenario for Donald Trump in the 2024 presidential elections with RFK Jr. running independently.
- Trump holds a narrow 46% to 43% national lead over Joe Biden when RFK Jr. isn’t considered.
- This lead widens to four points with RFK Jr. in the mix.
RFK Jr.’s Independent Bid Impact
- Kennedy plans to officially leave the Democratic primary and announce an independent presidential run on October 9 in Pennsylvania.
- His independent candidacy attracts 14% support overall, pulling more from Democratic-leaning voters (17%) than Republican-leaning ones (11%).
- This shift disadvantages Democrats more, enhancing Trump’s position.
Democratic Party Concerns
- The potential of RFK Jr.’s independent run is raising alarms within the Democratic Party due to its likely negative impact on Biden’s chances.
- Kennedy’s move follows Cornel West’s third-party bid, which has already caused concern among Democrats, including DNC Chairman Jaime Harrison, for its probable detrimental effect on the Democratic vote, akin to Jill Stein’s impact in 2016.